Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups whole toasted almonds
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the water, cinnamon, sugar, and cream of tartar over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
3. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 246 degrees on a candy thermometer.
4. Once the candy is at the proper temperature, remove immediately from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Add the nuts all at once, and stir with a wooden spoon until they are completely coated with the sugar syrup. Continue to stir until the it becomes difficult to stir and the syrup turns opaque.
5. Quickly turn out onto the prepared baking sheet. Separate the nuts and allow them to cool and harden at room temperature. Nuts can be stored in an airtight Ziploc bag at room temperature for several weeks.